Welcome

http://mymolecules.blogspot.com/

Welcome to My Molecules. This is my personal blog. Talk about the different experiences that life brings. Info about news, videos, movies, games, television shows, my personal thoughts, and other things that comes to my mind. So thank you for reading My Molecules.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Is Too Much Water Dangerous

I will never forget what happened to me last night. Yesterday I got sick. I don't want to be sick because I have to apply for a job this morning together with my college classmates. I'm really afraid of what happened last night.

I have known that to much water intake will give you a healthier life. Some says that drinking a lot of water will lessen your sickness and that's what I did. Stupid me! I really wanted to go this morning and I want to get well. I thought that drinking too much water will refreshen and cleanse my body but it didn't. I really don't know why did I do it. While watching Marimar I started to drink a glass of water every 15 minutes until the end of Jumong because I thought that it will help me to get well. I also take paracetamol. And then after Jumong my sickness is gone but my head hurts. I've got headache. It really hurts and hurts even more when I lay down and tried to sleep. I try to take Advil but it has no effect. All I want is to sleep so that it will be gone but I can't sleep. I feel like I'm going to vomit because I feel that theres air in my stomach that wants to go out. So I try to vomit and after vomitting some water that I have drunk my headache disappear. I've put Katinko on my chest, stomach and back so that I will be more comfortable while sleeping.

I wanted to know what happened to me last night so I have searched the internet and found this news on the BBC News website. It says...

A Californian woman has died after taking part in a water-drinking contest, but why is too much water dangerous?

We are regularly advised to drink more water: it clears skin, reduces tiredness and aids concentration.

But the death of a woman in the US after taking part in a water-drinking contest shows you can have too much of a good thing.

Jennifer Strange had taken part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" game, which promised the winner a Nintendo Wii. Afterwards she reportedly said her head was hurting and went home, where she was later found dead. Initial tests have shown her death is consistent with water intoxication.

Drinking too much water can eventually cause your brain to swell, stopping it regulating vital functions such as breathing, and causing death. So what happens?

Water enters the body when we drink and is removed primarily in the urine and sweat. The amount of water in the body is regulated to control the levels of certain compounds, such as salt, in the blood.

If you drink too much water, eventually the kidneys will not be able to work fast enough to remove sufficient amounts from the body, so the blood becomes more dilute with low salt concentrations.

"If you drink too much water it lowers the concentration of salt in your blood so that it is lower than the concentration of salt in cells," says Professor Robert Forrest, a consultant in clinical chemistry and forensic toxicology at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield.

The water then moves from the dilute blood to the cells and organs where there is less water. Professor Forrest likens this to the effects seen in science-class experiments.

Anthony Andrews
Actor Anthony Andrews was treated for water intoxication in 2003
"If you put salty water on onion skin the cells will shrink, if you put too much water on it the cells will swell," he says.

This swelling is a problem in the brain.

"When the brain swells, it is inside a bony box so has nowhere to go," he says. "The pressure increases in the skull and you may get a headache. As the brain is squeezed it compresses vital regions regulating functions such as breathing."

Eventually these functions will be impaired and you are likely to stop breathing and die. Warning signs included confusion and headaches...


For the complete article go here. Whew! I really thank God that that didn't happened to me. I'm really nervous at that time a lot of things came into my mind like what if I have cancer or other serious diseases. One of my fear is being confined in a hospital. I really don't like injections. Hahaha. Right now I'm afraid to drink a glass of water. Hehehe. I just drink a small glass of water to be sure that it will not happen again. Another weapon of mine is prayer.

Labels: